Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Runners Safety

So last week I had to make a 911 call on my morning run.  I think this was my first 911 call that I have made while running.  Fortunately nothing happened, but it was a matter of a second between getting hit or not.  I was on Whittier and San Fernando intersection in Forest Hills neighborhood in Dallas.  The intersection all had stop signs.  I was crossing the intersection, and a red ford pick up with a white camper cam zooming by, I was in the middle of the street and when I realized he wasn't stopping I immediately accelerated.  The driver then started to honk at me, didn't slow down and luckily my acceleration was sufficient enough to pass the intersection before the diver went by.  I had my phone with me that morning, but I was in shock and scared beyond belief.  I didn't even think about trying to see the drivers license or taking a picture of the vehicle.  I was just glad that I didn't get hit on that run.
After the shock and running to my home I realized that I needed to make a 911 call.  I called the operator and explained the situation, but without a plate number, there was little that could be done. Unfortunately, things like these can happen to anyone and I know it it would have been a small child they certainly would have been hit.  As a runner it's important to always be on the lookout for cyclist, cars, dogs that can come at you.  It doesn't matter who's at fault at the end of the day one needs to be at the defensive in order to not get hurt.
RRCA Safety Tips


Todd Williams offers safety tips

No comments:

Post a Comment