Sunday, July 12, 2020

July 6-12 15 Second Rule

July 6 Rest
July 7 13.3 miles around Gaston MS
July 8 13.3 miles around Gaston MS
July 9 13.4 miles around Gaston MS
July 10 13 miles around Gaston MS
July 11 20 miles SoPac trail and WRL
July 12 12.2 WRL loop
total of the week 85.4 miles
Overall the week was a good one.  I believe that my grit is increasing.  Energy level fluctuated throughout the week.  For example I started the week feeling strong after resting, and by Thursday I was having trouble getting out of the door. Friday for some reason I was able to get a second wind, then Saturday came and I now reflect that I made several mistakes on the run. My first mistake was not carrying water even through it was very hot and humid.  Then ended up doing a new trail without knowledge of having water.  The trail was nice and shady but it left running 13 miles without access to fluids. That means around 2 hours of running in the heat without fluids.  The final mistake that was made was adding some surges in order to get to the water quicker.  The trail started to go downhill and I just felt like pushing to get to the water.  The result was that I started to overheat with the various factors.  I was able to get fluids and salt pills but the damage was done. 
Things I learned from the that run was to either carry a bottle or stay close to a route I know.  With summer heat it is too risky to go over 2 hours running without access to fluids. Today's loop felt surprisingly easy.  The temperature was cooler and the run was slower so it was a good conclusion to the week. Also as you may have noticed the 5 extra miles were good. It's good to know that I can go a bit over the 80 mpw goal and still feel good.  From the cost/benefit analysis my goal is to stay around 80 mpw, so going a little over and still feeling good is a good thing.  I'm reminded of my goal for 2020 to get to 4k miles and it is just over halfway and I'm just over 2k so as long as I stay with my weekly goal it seems realistic.

15 Second Formula and how it can help your Running
Recently I was reading about the 15s formula and it made a great sense as far a how training correlates with racing and endurance.  The formula is simple yet complicated.  Imagine a clock and starting with 0 seconds.  This will be you all out mile time.  Then at the 15 second mark it would be your 5km time, which means that 15 seconds is added to your mile pace for  a 5km.  The pattern goes on to 10km of adding 30 seconds to your mile pace, and 45 seconds to your half marathon pace.  Finally the 60 second mark should be your marathon pace, that is add 60 seconds to your mile pace for the marathon. 
So to put it simply a 5 minute miler should have a 5km pace of 5:15, a 10km pace of 5:30 pace, a half marathon pace of 5:45 pace and a marathon pace of 6 minute pace.
Now this formula is not perfect, but it can provide you a guide as to what you are leaning more towards.  For example if you can run a 5 minute mile like in my case, but have not been able to sustain a 6 minute marathon pace then you are leaning more towards the speed than the endurance of a runner.  This goes into a more complicated topic, but from what I understand speed does not die, and just because I'm working on my endurance in order to get to that 6 minute pace goal does not mean I cannot get to that 5 minute mile, the two are not mutually exclusive.  On the other hand one that has built the mitochondria endurance through long slow running per Arthur Lydiard can be very versatile and with some specialization and sharpening can concentrate in a wide variety of events.
The two are not mutually exclusive even a mile requires endurance, which is something to consider.  So as I continue to train I'm reminded of how the base training can be adaptable and offer a variety of paths depending on where I want to concentrate on.



Final Thoughts
The speed versus endurance segment is something that is widely debatable and there are many paths that can lead to the same outcome. For example recently I read on some runners applying the run walk method even at sub 6 pace, which although not common was interesting read. I'm only providing one of those ideas, but I hope that the 15 second guide can offer some insight in order to see how a training can be adapted and modified in order to improve what area could be developed further.  Please let me know your thoughts, thanks for reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment