Monday, September 7, 2020

August 31 - September 6 ROI

 August 31 Rest

September 1 11 miles around Gaston MS

Sept 2 rest

Sept 3 14 miles around Gaston MS

Sept 4 14 miles around Gaston MS

Spet 5 20 miles around WRL to Baylor 

Spet 6 20 miles around WRL to Baylor 

80 miles week

This week took  an extra rest day and ended up running 5 times.  It must have been the added mileage the last two weeks of 90 & 85 mileage, so listened to my body and took the added rest day to help with the fatigue.  No regrets in the added rest day as I was still able to get to the 80 miles this week, with some added miles.  The runs felt okay overall, with the weather still having mixture of cooler fronts and heat its a pleasant adjustment, from the summer usual heat.  Also the allergies seem to be getting better so that a plus overall.  Next Sunday, the 13th will be the virtual Boston run so next week looking forward to that event.  The plan in to do 2 and a half loops around White Rock Lake and stay at a steady pace, so will report back how it turns out.  Several clubs such as the Dallas running club, rouge running, and White Rock Co-op are organizing water stations for it so very grateful for that.

Also I'm now registered for a fall marathon which will be in November. The Forth Worth Marathon which will be in person, with a limited field, so after putting in the mileage since March, I am excited to have that event in approximately 2 months.  I think I'm in good shape and this will be a opportunity to race.

ROI

If you are into finance or investing one frequent acronym is the Return On Investment.  ROI refers to if I invest in something what will be  my expected return on what I invest in.  For example if I purchase a 100k house, what do I expect to make in return if I rent it?  If I follow the 1% rule on that house I would expect a rental payment of 1,000 a month and from there I can pay the house down to build equity and gain into my net worth.  Once the house is payed off 100% of that payment will will go into the investor hands and that investor can then decide what next venture they would like to tackle along with the equity of the house.

In the world of running ROI can be very similar.  For example a novice runner with a consistent training of say 6-12 month can have massive ROI improvements.  I have seen runners that have gone from 4 hour marathons to 3 hour marathons in a span of a year. For some these improvements will be drastic as the training starts to take shape and the dividends start to pay off in massive leaps so to speak.  Yet, there is also a steep drop off once you reach a point were the massive dividends begin to plateau.  For example that 4 hour marathoner that is now a 3 hour marathoner, will begin to see less and less improvement and may very likely start to see regression.

At the drop off point, one has a choice.  Do I keep running knowing my improvement will likely not continue? Or am I okay with maintaining my current state and trusting my training that in the long term although minimal improvement I can still improve? Also with age others factors would have to be considered as well.

Every runner has to answer that question and this is were intrinsic motivation becomes crucial.  For myself now that I have been running for 2 decades, I am beginning to understand this process and how nothing is life is guaranteed, but trusting the training and the long term process I'm okay with regardless of short term results.

So what is your ROI?

So then the question becomes what is your ROI?  Going from a 4 hour marathon to a 3 hour marathon is definitely not easy or simple.  But for that person to continue to shoot for a 2:55 marathon is understanding the point of diminishing returns and still continue to push for excellence, has nothing but respect from my point of view.

And that is were I find myself, continuing to push even if as a 35 year old I may not break my personal best that I set 8 years ago I am at least happy that I can give it a fighting shot. When I watched the last dance, one thing that impressed me about MJ was his attitude and willingness to fight regardless of how many championships he had already won. MJ lifted the whole team to a whole new level, even is some questioned his tactics the results was the same.

Many can have short term improvement, but to continue to do so long term certainly takes a whole other level.

Final Thoughts

The training is going well and the mileage has been consistent.  Next week looking forward to the Boston Virtual run and excited that I'm now signed up for a fall marathon!  Thank you for reading and all the best.



Jason Trevino and I at 2019  Dallas Turkey Trot both ran low 45 min for 8 miles



No comments:

Post a Comment