Saturday, May 31, 2014

Hoka Bondi 2 shoe review

So a couple of months ago I was on the trail with David and he had some thick shoes, which Kyle and I started calling shape ups.  I've always run in neutral shoes and I though those were weird looking.  Then I did the blackhills 50 and there was a bunch of rocks that you had to run on.  My feet were killing me by the end and I was super sore.   A person that finished shortly after at the race ran in the Hoka's and after talking to him about how much my feet were killing me, he said he didn't feel a thing.  So after talking to that runner I was really intrigued.
I ended up with the Hoka Bondi's 2 and gave them a try. They came in and at first I was like, 'what in the world did I buy?'  The heel is 35mm and the forefoot is 30.  For comparison sake, the other shoes I run with the new balance 890 are 28mm heel and 21mm forefoot.  These shoes were definitely thick.  I gave them a try and they felt pretty good. Apart from feeling about 3 inches higher the cushioning on these shoes were unreal.  I definitely noticed that my legs were a bit fresher especially when I would run some of those longs runs 15+ miles.  I still had soreness in my legs, but I noticed that my legs didn't feel as tired as when I was wearing normal sneakers.  I've been wearing these shoes for about 2 months now and they have held up quite well.  The shoes have also helped me to raise my knees and avoid the marathon shuffle, which is good because I need to raise my feet in order to make my stride more efficient.  Some of the bottom of the shoe has definitely been worn a bit, but I think I still have a couple of months in the shoes which is good because they were kind of pricey.  I would definitely recommend the hoka's for long runs especially if you are doing back to back long runs on the weekends.  The extra cushion on the shoes definitely keeps your legs feeling a bit better.  The difference isn't really massive, but I could definitely tell.  Here are the pros and cons of the bondi 2 shoes based on what I have observed so far:
Pros: cushion absorbs a great deal of the impact leaving your legs feeling a a bit fresher than in normal sneakers, shoes make your avoid the marathon shuffle a bit in order to avoid dragging, shoes run true to size
Cons: Pricey these shoes are running between 100-170 bucks
Overall, running is a repetitive motion sport and therefore, your legs are your main asset it's important to protect them; Hoka's have allowed me to get my mileage without too much soreness.

1 comment:

  1. why does the price vary so much? do these shoes have support?

    ReplyDelete